Thursday, October 15, 2009

Jesus is God

I made the mistake of reading some of the forums on Amazon.com.  People, Amazon.com is a place to buy books, DVDs, gadgets, etc.  It should not be a place to engage in deep theological discussions.  But some people do anyway.  In a discussion on the Trinity, one person posted some very helpful quotes from the book of the prophet Isaiah and from the book of Revelation that show that Jesus truly is God.

Thus says the LORD, the King of Israel and his Redeemer, the LORD of hosts: "I am the first and I am the last; besides me there is no god." (Isaiah 44:6)

"Hearken to me, O Jacob, and Israel, whom I called! I am He, I am the first, and I am the last." (Isaiah 48:12)

"I am the Alpha and the Omega," says the Lord God, who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty. (Rev. 1:8)

Then I turned to see the voice that was speaking to me, and on turning I saw seven golden lampstands, and in the midst of the lampstands one like a son of man, clothed with a long robe and with a golden girdle round his breast ... he laid his right hand upon me, saying, "Fear not, I am the first and the last, and the living one; I died, and behold I am alive for evermore, and I have the keys of Death and Hades." (Rev. 1:12-13, 17-18)

"And to the angel of the church in Smyrna write: `The words of the first and the last, who died and came to life.'" (Rev. 2:8)

And he who sat upon the throne said, "Behold, I make all things new." Also he said, "Write this, for these words are trustworthy and true."  And he said to me, "It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. To the thirsty I will give from the fountain of the water of life without payment.  He who conquers shall have this heritage, and I will be his God and he shall be my son." (Rev. 21:5-7)

"Behold, I am coming soon, bringing my recompense, to repay every one for what he has done.  I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end." (Rev. 22:12-13)

He who testifies to these things says, "Surely I am coming soon." Amen. Come, Lord Jesus! (Rev. 22:20)

No comments: