Saturday, July 12, 2008

Bible Study: Philippians

Starting at the end of September, and going through Advent, the Young Adult Bible Study I facilitate will be looking at the Second Reading from Mass, which is almost always going to be a letter from Paul. The first several weeks will be devoted to the letter to the Philippians (reading the whole letter, not just what we hear in Mass).

After learning more about lectio divina today at the "Called to Lead" conference, I've decided I'm going to read the letter, chapter by chapter ("paragraph by paragraph", really) slowly and carefully, meditating and praying on each part. See, I've learned today that Scripture won't say anything to me unless I treat it as though it were written to me.

So when I begin the Bible Study in the Fall, the theme will not be "Paul's Letters to the So-and-So's". It will be "Paul's Letters to Us". I think it's especially poignant for young adults, because we are a lot like the church communities that Paul was writing to. They were fledgling, they were struggling, they had questions about their faith, they had temptations on every side... and Paul had the right words for them. There's no reason to think that he doesn't have the right words for us.

3 comments:

preacherman said...

Wonderful thoughts on this subject brother. I was wondering if you and others could burn prayer candles for me. I have been in ICU this week with pnemonia and esophageous problem that could lead to cancer. Please do this. I believe in prayer. I would greatly appreciate you, your wife and all you know doing this for me and my health. God is so goood even when we suffer. I am tryin' to let God lead my life even in sickness which I have experience over the past 2 years. You are such a friend and someone I look up to brother. God bless your life and all you do.
In Him,
Kinney Mabry
Your brother in Christ.

Jeffrey Pinyan said...

I have read on your blog about the illness you're going through. Please know, Kinney, that you and your family are in my prayers.

I pray that my prayers for you will rise like incense before the altar of God in heaven, and that He will look on you with mercy and love, and that you will feel the surpassing peace and comfort of Jesus Christ.

preacherman said...

Thank you you so much brother. Word cannot express the gratitude and love I have have for you and your wife. I know you both are serving God in his purfect will. God will bless you both. I really enjoy reading your blog and want you to know that you are always welcom on mine as well. I hope you both have a blessed day in the name the father, son, and holy spirit!