Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Tradition: Double genuflection during Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament

Although the rubrics no longer require a double genuflection when the Blessed Sacrament is exposed (e.g. during Adoration), one priest from Kansas City defends his retaining of this traditional practice in this way:
I double genuflect at benediction (as presider) and when approaching or departing in the presence of the exposed blessed sacrament (even in abito piano - “plain blacks”). It is true that Jesus is not somehow more present in the monstrance than in the tabernacle (an argument often given for dropping the double genuflection) but a wise parishioner of mine put it very plain. She said, “when I drive past my grandfather’s house, I honk the horn, but if I notice he is outside on the porch, I usually stop the car and say a few words.” Something to think about. I do NOT, however, excoriate anybody for failing to make a double genuflection if the Blessed Sacrament is exposed.

No comments: