Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Liturgy: The Traditional Ordinary Form

I am going to start a series on how I believe the current Ordinary Form of the Mass could (and should) be celebrated in a way that reinforces and emphasizes the centuries-old traditions of the Roman Rite. I will deal with issues such as Latin, chant, and the orientation of the priest; I will consider the coming new English translation of the Sacramentary; I will examine the various "readings" (i.e. options) of the Mass. I will work through the liturgy in order. I will give my opinions, but also support my preferences with sources such as Church documents and books on the liturgy.

I've been reading a couple books about the liturgy (and its post-conciliar reform):
  • The Spirit of the Liturgy (Romano Guardini)
  • The Spirit of the Liturgy (Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger)
  • Reform of the Reform? (Fr. Thomas Kocik)
  • The Reform of the Roman Liturgy (Msgr. Klaus Gamber)
I am feeling the gravitational pull (as Fr. Z calls it) of the Extraordinary Form, and of Latin in general. When I pray Lauds and Vespers, I say some of it in Latin (although I have not yet taken the effort to pray the Benedicat nor the Magnificat in Latin yet); when I pray Compline, I say it entirely in Latin. I've downloaded or purchased a lot of Latin hymns and chants, and I listen to them quite often. I have developed a particular piety of posture and disposition at Mass. I eagerly await the new English translation of the Order of Mass. I am also leaning towards the "reform of the reform" mentality... or, at the very least, adherence to a more traditional celebration of the Ordinary Form (with Latin, Gregorian Chant, ad orientem, etc.).

This series probably won't start until 2008... at the very least, I want to get another part of the Excerpti on the Most Blessed Sacrament out before I start this series.

No comments: